March 16th 2009 FTAA Meeting Minutes

 

Meeting called to order by Dan Martyak.

Total Attendees TBD

All officers present except vacant Secretary

 

February Minutes – Motion to approve Kevin Wall.  Second by Ty Corallo

Treasures’ Report- Motion to approve Fran Tone.  Second by Lou Kehleher

 

Correspondences: 

  1. Toro Promotion Distributed
  2.  EAMS Rover Relay Days requested $100 Donation.  Approved
  3.  
  4.  

 

Officer Election:  Melody Talpas has been elected to the position of Secretary.

 

Agenda Changes (if different than minutes)

  1. It is noted that the Recreation Board update was missed at the last meeting and has been included in agenda  
  2.       
  3.   

 

Sports Reports

======================================================

Baseball- Chris Henry

  1. Chris will get costs on backstops. 
  2. Rec Board approved fixing them last nights meeting.
  3. 370+ kids on 30 teams
  4. Draft done for certain levels.  Others will be continuing
  5. Coaches Clinic coming up
  6. Umpire clinic coming up.
  7. Forks School lining fields.  Will town do it?
  8. Need a box at Forks School.  3 boxes total cost about $1,500.  Other sports need them also.

 

  1. Action:  Chris.  Send note to Mark Roberts if town will line fields at Forks School

 

======================================================

Basketball- Don Miller

  1. End of season is near.  Playoffs to start soon
  2. 14 teams in playoffs.
  3. Tuesday will have playoff schedule announced.  They will start 3-21.

 

  1. Action:  Don.  Call Melissa if you need snack bar opened.

======================================================

Cheering- Melody Talpas

  1. 93 signups to date
  2. End of week meeting with Coaches
  3. Fundraising is underway

 

======================================================

Football- Fran Tone

  1. League Meeting last week of March
  2. Lauren 1st and Goal in June that coaches will work at
  3. Clinic April 11th Lafayette college
  4. under 6 year old being reviewed for flag football

 

======================================================

Soccer – Gregor Wright

  1. Spring soccer, not run by FTAA has 150 players
  2. There is a 20 hour referee course.  Anyone has 14 or older kid that wants to ref, see Gregor
  3. Coordinating Equipment pickup with Butch
  4. Practice Fields are in need.  10 teams to play.

 

  1. Action:  Gregor.  Coordinate fields with Simon, Chris, Scott

======================================================

Lacrosse – Scott Hardy

  1. 1st week of April games start.
  2. Lines are needed at Mecco Road in retention pond.
  3. Rec Board (Alex and Butch) OK’d using Forks Equipment after season for EASD clinic only.  After that all equipment must be handed in.

 

  1. Action:  Scott.  Contact Mark Roberts, Dilts or Mumbauer (sp) for lines at Mecco road retention pond.
  2. Action.  Dan. Shed needed at Mecco.  Dan to get rice from Green Acres

======================================================

Softball – Ty Corallo

  1. 230 Kids signed up.  20 teams
  2. Draft will be done for Major and Minors.  Other drafts in later months
  3. League meetings continue
  4. Ty needs a box on field 5.
  5. Price on backstops.  Need 4 at airport.   Town recommends pegged in type

 

  1. Action:  Ty.  Contact Marks Roberts for a box on field 5
  2. Action:  Ty.  Price on Backstops for airport

======================================================

Wrestling – Don Miers

  1. 204 at banquet at Flynns
  2. Uniform return underway
  3. Last league meeting this week.

 

  1. Action:  Don.  Email Dan Wrestling guidelines for review.  Need to be finalized before Aug 15th

 

 


Recreation Board Update

  1. Scoreboard must be signed out and returned to Community center for each use.

 

 

 

Committee Reports

======================================================

Dances – Kevin Wall

  1. Next Dance is Lacrosse on March 20.
  2. April 17 Dance is Baseball
  3. May 15 Dance is Softball

======================================================

Snack Bar – Melissa Walsh

  1. Melissa is done as Snack Bar leader after basketball
  2. Dan will reach out to Mel’s or other options to pursue.
  3. It was recommended that person in charge is paid.

 

======================================================

First Aid Kits – Matt Daud

  1. Matt OK’d to order 10 more

 

======================================================

Scholarships – Colleen

  1. All are due back March 20th
  2. Nancy will lead this years committee (Nancy, John W, Maureen, Simon, Kevin)
  3. Recommended to change to for $6,000 total
    1. 2 at $1,500
    2. 2 at $1,000
    3. 2 at $500
  4. Recommended no dinner.  Have small reception at a regular meeting in May.

 

======================================================

Background Checks – John Wieller

  1. The form is on the web
  2. All are in for sports

 

Action:  Dan:  Still Open:  Need guidance from Karl Kline on where to drawn the line if questionable

======================================================

Signups – Dan Martyak

  1. Discussions focused on Late Signups
  2. Each sport has different needs on late signups.

 

  1. Action:  Dan review with Jim Farley the Town's position on late signups. 
  2. Action:  Simon will lead a Committee to review Late Signups, volunteer time, Fees, etc

 

======================================================

Guidelines – Nancy Bonfanti

  1. All are up to date.  Awaiting changes to wrestling guidelines

 

 

======================================================

Website – Ed Adamko

  1. All up to date

 

 

======================================================

Community Days – Colleen

  1. All options are still open to FTAA
  2. Dunk tank is a possibility
  3. Community Days Committee requested $2,750 for fireworks.  Not approved yet.
  4. Forms handed out
  5. Need a committee formed for this years events

 

  1. Action:  Need Help here

 

 

 

Old Business

  1. A fee committee was formed with Simon, Kelli, Butch, Melissa, Kevin, Nancy.  Look at Late, Volunteer, FTAA and Sport fees.
  2. Senator Wonderling Grant issue:  Our Tax forms are not current.  We need to file a 990 Form.  Grant is at risk.
  3. Options for winning team $20 are still open.  Will be reviewed for fall Sports.  Recommendations to come still.  See Separate Note/
  4. Shed at Mecco Road.  Cost for 12X16 is Approx $3,100.  Someone was going to pursue a contractor.  Need a vote on this.  Ready to be delivered.  Need Gravel and level pad.
  5. Many questions asked of Mark Roberts.  See attached below

 

 

 

New Business Section:

  1. Nominations for basketball and wrestling commissioners are due in April.  Vote will be May.  This is one month late.
  2. Ice Machine in building is bad.  John will get estimate to fix.
  3. Jerry Stephanelli is pursuing purchasing Game tickets for a bus trip to Mets or Yankees game.  FTAA Approved supporting this with Jerry
  4.   

 

 

 

Motion to Close March Meeting  TBD,  2nd TBD


 

==============================Section for Notes ============================

Motions During meeting

 

March 16, 2009:  EAMS $100 Donation for Rover Relay Days

By:   _Fran Tone______  Second___Kelli Wilson__  In favor: ___All___  Opposed:__None

 

 

March 16, 2009 Change Scholarship dinner to reception at May meeting in Community Center.  In addition, limit scholarships to 6  (2 at $1,500; 2 at $1,000; 2 at $500)

By:   Colleen  Second    Ty  In favor: __All_______  Opposed:__None______

 

 

March 16, 2009  $350 for a generator for FTAA use.  Scoreboard, etc.

By:   Gregor Wright  Second  Scott Hardy  In favor:  All  Opposed:  None

 

 

March 16, 2009  Support Jerry Stephanelli in running a Yankees or Mets Bus trip.  Estimate Cost per person was Approx $55.  FTAA would cover ticket costs once Jerry purchased them.  FTAA would recoup money after tickets are sold.  Motion to approve this event and support

By:   Dan Martyak  Second  Chris Henry In favor:  All  Opposed:  None

 

 

=====================================================================

 

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

By:   __________________  Second___________  In favor: _________  Opposed:________

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

By:   __________________  Second___________  In favor: _________  Opposed:________

 

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

By:   __________________  Second___________  In favor: _________  Opposed:________

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

By:   __________________  Second___________  In favor: _________  Opposed:________

 

 


 

 

 

 

Options for $20 winning team

    1. Trophy 15 inch  $12.00 each
    2. Plaque 9X7  $18.00 each
    3. T-shirt
    4. Hooded Jacket
    5. Continue as is letting team mom-coach decide
    6. Any combination of the above
    7. Duffle Bag $18-$20
    8. Stop the program

 

 

Mark Roberts Items (3-25-2009) 

 

1. I advised Ed to remove the benches from Paxinosa School

2. I checked with Ed, we only have 1 portable backstop at the airport at this time. Last year the 2nd one that we had flipped numerous times in the wind storm and was heavily damaged. Ed is concerned with using this type of backstop because of the wind issue at that location. The one that is still good was found in the pavilion after it blew across the field. They have numerous pins (18') to secure it to the ground but after the wind hits it and it starts rocking they come out. If you’re looking into purchasing new units for the airport fields I would suggest looking into units that have sleeves in the ground. Ed has information on these units.

3. We will install a new latch on the box at field 5 in the center of the box.

4. I advised Ed to do what he can and get back to me with the count (Meco Road Players benches.  Need 6.  There are only 2)

5. I don't think this is a problem. I'll see what we have and move 1-2 units up to the Meco fields. (Fan Benches at Meco)

 

On another note: We started installing boxes around field #3 players benches yesterday. We're installing 6"x6" beams with rebar, fabric, and stone. This should elevate the mud issue that we've had on the ball fields where the players sit. At this time we will be doing three fields. It's a better appearance and will be less maintenance for the crew.  Let me know what you and the coaches think of this.

 

Thanks,

Mark